Bridge+CARP crashes/freezes pfSense
- 1 physical ethernet port with VLANs;
- CARP with virtual address on one of the VLANs;
- OpenVPN tunnel;
- bridge between the OpenVPN interface and the VLAN interface;
pfSense crashes/freezes after a few seconds (sometimes after 5 seconds, sometimes after a minute or more). No response to pings, the machine is frozen on the console.
When I disable CARP on the VLAN interface, leaving the bridge enabled, the problem disappears.
Using Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows Server 2012 R2, pfSense 2.2.1.May be related to the following pfSense/FreeBSD bugs:
The pfSense issue #910 is marked as resolved (with a patch), but it's quite old. Maybe the problem reappeared in later versions?
#1 Updated by Chris Buechler about 4 years ago
- Subject changed from Bridge+CARP+VLANs crashes/freezes pfSense to Bridge+CARP crashes/freezes pfSense
- Status changed from New to Confirmed
- Assignee set to Ermal Luçi
- Target version set to 2.2.3
- Affected Version changed from 2.2.1 to 2.2
- Affected Architecture deleted (
It doesn't appear specific to VLANs. A CARP IP on an interface that's a member of the bridge, or on the bridge itself, will cause this to happen once some traffic beyond a trivial amount is flowing.
#910 was an issue in a much older, much different base OS and had different symptoms so don't think it's related. It's the same root cause as FreeBSD PR 187451 I expect.
#2 Updated by Chris Buechler about 4 years ago
- File config-pfs22-bridgetest1.dev.pfmechanics.com-20150515145530.xml config-pfs22-bridgetest1.dev.pfmechanics.com-20150515145530.xml added
Still an issue after recent related changes. One clarification - it only happens when hosts are using the CARP IP as their gateway IP. Point them to the interface IP and it's fine. Change that to CARP and it freezes quickly once pushing a bit of traffic (speedtest-cli or similar from a system behind the bridge will trigger within seconds). Attached config one example.