PPP does not auto-reconnect
Renaming to what is the actual issue, the "Incorrect context for show iface" is just a symptom of that as it's trying to get info on a downed interface.
Apr 5 22:49:46 pfSense opt3: CONSOLE: Allocated new console session 0x286f8008 from 127.0.0.1 Apr 5 22:49:46 pfSense opt3:  CONSOLE: admin: link lnkopt3 Apr 5 22:49:46 pfSense opt3: [lnkopt3] CONSOLE: admin: show iface Apr 5 22:49:46 pfSense opt3: Incorrect context for: 'show iface' Apr 5 22:49:46 pfSense opt3: [lnkopt3] CONSOLE: admin: exit
#1 Updated by Chris Buechler about 10 years ago
This appears to happen only when the interface is not connected. For an unknown reason (the logs were overwritten by thousands of the above), the connection was dropped at some point. mpd was still running, and didn't appear to be trying to reconnect. Clicking Connect under Status > Interfaces brought it back up immediately.
This card was connected for weeks straight with no problem on the old PPP. Are we missing something in mpd to automatically reconnect if the connection gets dropped for some reason?
#3 Updated by Marcus Brown about 10 years ago
#5 Updated by Marcus Brown about 10 years ago
To test I used the following procedure.
1. start/bring up the connection
2. #telnet localhost 5000 -> This connects to the console of the mpd5 instance running your ppp connection
3. #close -> brings down the connection
4. unplug the modem
5. #open -> brings up the connection
6. plug the modem in
7. Observe mpd connects to remote peer after modem is ready.
8. Observe logs showing mpd trying to bring up the connection every second after you type #open at the console prompt.