Unbound / DNS Resolver issue if "Register DHCP static mappings in the DNS Resolver" set before wildcard DNS custom options
built on Tue Sep 27 12:13:07 CDT 2016
To create the bug:
1) Enable DNS Resolver, and enable "Register DHCP static mappings in the DNS Resolver".
2) Wait (like 2 seconds) for one client with a static DHCP mapping to register itself in the DNS...
3) Now try to add a wildcard DNS alias in "Custom Options", as specified in https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Wildcard_Records_in_DNS_Forwarder/Resolver server: local-zone: "example.com" redirect local-data: "example.com 86400 IN A 192.168.1.54"
Cannot save the unbound config file because the wildcard alias isn't on top of unbound.conf ...
Way to get around the bug:
1) Disable "Register DHCP static mappings in the DNS Resolver", save, apply
2) Add the wildcard DNS alias as instructed in the above url, save, apply
3) Enable "Register DHCP static mappings in the DNS Resolver", save, apply
Why is this a bug ?:
Because each time you need to add/modify a wildcard setting (which happens to me more often than you think), you need to do all the "way to get around the bug", which feels kind of .. silly.
Thank you all for making pfSense what it is.
Updated by Kris Phillips over 1 year ago
Tested this on 2.5.2. Unable to reproduce issue any longer. This was likely resolved in a previous unbound update.