OpenVPN Client installer behaviour when OpenVPN 2.5 is already installed
Former versions of OpenVPN Client Export allowed for the distribution of the installer that handled pre-existing instalations of OpenVPN. Previously, if OpenVPN was already installed, it was upgraded or (if it matched) the installed automatically skipped to the installation of the attached configuration.
The release of 2.5 is confusing to less-technical end users.
During the installation, when an existing instance of 2.5 is on the computer;
1) the upgrade or modify/repair options are grey and not selectable.
2) assuming we do not want to uninstall (the only selectable option), it's not obvious how to proceed.
3) in order to proceed, you must press "esc" and OK the fact you are aborting the installation of the client.
4) after stopping the installation of the client, the CONFIG installation then starts it's installation.
I preferred the (<= 2.5) mode where the client skipped the installation if already installed and simply applied the OpenVPN config. end users did not need to make a decision that is above their knowledge or comfort level.
Being presented with only the "Uninstall" option and no indication to press escape to bypass the client install is a challenge.
Updated by Jim Pingle about 1 year ago
- Status changed from New to Rejected
- Priority changed from Very High to Normal
- Target version deleted (
- Affected Version deleted (
The OpenVPN client Windows installer changed to an MSI, nothing we can do about that. Request changes upstream in OpenVPN directly.