Package Update Availability Notification
Following up with a user's feature request on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/p1o4fz/notifications_in_pfsense_again/h8geszd/) I had a go at creating an rc script to iterate all installed packages and file_notify if the package has an update available.
My GitHub repo with the additional rc file: https://github.com/GenericStudent/pfsense/blob/feature/package-update-notification/src/etc/rc.package_update_check
This works when using the cron package with the command: `/usr/bin/nice -n20 /etc/rc.package_update_check` but I was curious if:
- this isn't already in the pipeline (I did a quick search in Redmine but I'm new to this / here and didn't see anything relating)
- the method imployed isn't rediculous for this functionality
- there isn't a better method for executing scripts / code on the regular (without requiring extra Cron package that is)
- I should punt a pull request through as-is and we can discuss any better methods etc
Any feedback on any of this is welcomed due to my extreme green-ness to this process.
Many thanks in advanced,
Updated by Marcos Mendoza 7 months ago
- Handle cases where the installed package is newer than the available package. See
- How would/should this behave if DNS does not work? E.g. skip the current check or try again in an hour?
- What if there are no packages?
- The update check frequency should be user-configurable from the page
System / Update / Update Settings.
A cron schedule is a good way to go about this since it's simple and flexible.