Project

General

Profile

Bug #5040

interfaces.php "copy my MAC" mis-feature reappeared

Added by Chris Buechler over 3 years ago. Updated over 3 years ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Target version:
-
Start date:
08/26/2015
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:

Description

The "Copy my MAC" button on interfaces.php was removed because the only thing it typically accomplished was breaking things (the copied system no longer worked because of the resulting MAC conflict and caused people all kinds of confusion). It's reappeared.

History

#1 Updated by Steve Beaver over 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Confirmed to Feedback
  • Assignee changed from Steve Beaver to Chris Buechler

Darn. It was my first ever fixed m0n0wall bug :(

Removed as requested (but only with comments, just in case).

#2 Updated by Jim Thompson over 3 years ago

Wait, is this fixed, or not?

If it's fixed, why are we taking it out?

#3 Updated by Steve Beaver over 3 years ago

When converting the page I found that the ARP lookup was returning multiple MACs concatenated together ebcause my IP was (say) 192.168.2.11 and the table also knew about 192.168.2.110, 192.168.2.112 and the grep wasn't taking that into account.

I fixed that piece, but Chris is saying that this is a stupid option because it typically generates a MAC conflict. So it wasn't broken in that sense, just not very sensible..

#4 Updated by Chris Buechler over 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Resolved

it's gone, same as in 2.2.x, so this is fixed.

There is no reason to have it, the only thing it accomplished was people complaining that when they used it, it broke one machine or everything, as a MAC conflict will do.

#5 Updated by Kill Bill over 3 years ago

https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense/blob/bootstrap/src/usr/local/www/interfaces.php#L1768

Overall, the whole process seems to be incredible bug generating chaos. :-(

#6 Updated by Chris Buechler over 3 years ago

Kill Bill wrote:

https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense/blob/bootstrap/src/usr/local/www/interfaces.php#L1768

I'll kill whatever's left, if anything, once interfaces.php has settled. It's actively being worked on.

Overall, the whole process seems to be incredible bug generating chaos. :-(

can't replace nearly the entire web interface without breaking a few eggs. Or all of them, initially, in this case. But we're fixing them. It's a huge undertaking that's most of the way there, but still a work in progress.

Also available in: Atom PDF