Project

General

Profile

Bug #948

Can't assign VLANs to LAGG interface via web interface

Added by Teemu Haapoja over 8 years ago. Updated over 8 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
Interfaces
Target version:
Start date:
10/12/2010
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Affected Version:
2.0
Affected Architecture:

Description

LAGG interface is missing from VLAN capable interfaces list when creating or editing VLANs, but existing VLANs using that interface continue to work.
New VLANs can be added the LAGG only by creating a new VLAN for another interface, then editing config.xml and rebooting.

Currently using "2.0-BETA4 (amd64) built on Tue Oct 12 06:44:49 UTC 2010". The LAGG interface is created with a Dual port Intel NIC using the igb driver.

I traced the behaviour to /etc/inc/globals.inc in line 112:

$vlan_native_supp = get_nics_with_capabilities("vlanmtu");

When 'vlanmtu' is changed to 'vlan_mtu', the LAGG interface appeared on the menu, but none of the other interfaces showed up.

I traced the behaviour further and found the following at line 50:

if(isset($capable['caps'][$CAPABILITIES])) {

When 'caps' is changed to 'encaps', the LAGG interface appears in the list along with the other interfaces as it should.

lagg_igb_ifconfig.txt (1.26 KB) lagg_igb_ifconfig.txt Teemu Haapoja, 10/13/2010 03:56 AM

History

#1 Updated by Ermal Lu├ži over 8 years ago

Can you show an ifconfig of lagg members and lagg itself when this happens?
Probably one of the members of lagg is not capable of 'vlanmtu'

#2 Updated by Teemu Haapoja over 8 years ago

Here is ifconfig output for the relevant parts. VLAN_MTU is present on the member interfaces (which do show up on the list) and the LAGG interface has identical properties as well. In pfSense-2.0-BETA4-20101003-1759 this worked as it should, so something relevant to this has changed in later versions.

#3 Updated by Chris Buechler over 8 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Feedback

I just setup VLANs on lagg with igb NICs yesterday, on yesterday's snapshot (same one in the original post), with 0 issues. Maybe you broke something editing source, try upgrading to the latest snapshot again.

#4 Updated by Teemu Haapoja over 8 years ago

I upgraded to the latest snapshot (2.0-BETA4 (amd64) built on Wed Oct 13 05:08:20 UTC 2010) and the problem still persists. I haven't edited any files before I started investigating this problem. I'll try reinstalling from scratch since the system has been updated from snapshots so many times.

#5 Updated by Teemu Haapoja over 8 years ago

I was fiddling the settings before trying reinstall and renamed some vlans to remove couple of umlaut characters. Suddenly the LAGG interface appeared on the list again (still using the latest snapshot without any changes). I can't tell for sure what the problem was, but it doesn't sound quite right to me that the special characters in vlan names alone could have done that, especially since I changed them back again and the LAGG didn't disappear anymore. So, problem fixed whatever it was :-)

#6 Updated by Chris Buechler over 8 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF