Project

General

Profile

Actions

Regression #12048

closed

A communications error occurred while attempting to call XMLRPC method restore_config_section

Added by Luca De Andreis about 2 months ago. Updated about 1 month ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
High
Category:
XMLRPC
Target version:
Start date:
06/16/2021
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Plus Target Version:
21.09
Release Notes:
Default
Affected Version:
Affected Architecture:

Description

I've just update the test PfSense cluster to release
2.5.2.r.20210615.1851

On the immediately preceding release it worked fine.

Please note, I use a NON default port to manage PfSense (8443)

Thanks

Actions #1

Updated by Jim Pingle about 2 months ago

  • Status changed from New to Rejected

I cannot replicate the problem as stated and nothing changed between the previous builds which would have impacted XMLRPC that I can tell.

This site is not for support or diagnostic discussion, please post on the Netgate Forum in the category for 2.5.2 snapshots at https://forum.netgate.com/category/85/2-5-2-development-snapshots and describe your problem in more detail. Please provide additional log entries from around when the error occurs and what it takes to trigger the error.

Also make sure both nodes are on the same build. If an error happens when they are on mismatched builds, that's not a valid report as it's not a supported HA state.

Actions #2

Updated by Jim Pingle about 2 months ago

  • Tracker changed from Bug to Regression
  • Status changed from Rejected to Confirmed
  • Assignee set to Jim Pingle
  • Priority changed from Normal to Urgent
  • Target version set to 2.5.2

At first I couldn't reproduce it, but now I can every time. Not sure what changed. It didn't show up in the logs or notices initially, but after I restarted php (16/11 from the console) it was logged.

I noticed that the error message was incomplete. I managed to fix that up but it isn't terribly helpful:

Jun 16 10:49:20     php-fpm     66863     /rc.filter_synchronize: New alert found: A communications error occurred while attempting to call XMLRPC method restore_config_section: Error writing request 

I checked out the request body and it is the whole config sync, though I checked and the configuration is syncing.

On the target system, the XMLRPC lock file in /tmp/xmlrpc.lock is left, so something on the secondary node must be bailing before it finishes the sync process.

There is nothing in the logs on the secondary, however, to indicate a problem.

Actions #3

Updated by Jim Pingle about 2 months ago

  • Assignee changed from Jim Pingle to Renato Botelho

After checking many, many different things (SSL, crypto settings, nginx settings, and more) I went back and tried older snapshots:

  • 20210604-1008 OK
  • 20210609-0300 OK
  • 20210610-1655 Fail
  • 20210615-1851 Fail

Between 20210609-0300 and 20210610-1655 the most significant change is a ports update which updated PHP from 7.4.19 to 7.4.20.

Actions #4

Updated by Jim Pingle about 2 months ago

I have been able to narrow this down further to this change:

php74-pear-HTTP_Request2: 2.3.0,1 -> 2.4.2,1

If I go back to a working snapshot and update only that one package, the XMLRPC request starts failing again.

Actions #5

Updated by Luca De Andreis about 2 months ago

Jim Pingle wrote:

I have been able to narrow this down further to this change:

[...]

If I go back to a working snapshot and update only that one package, the XMLRPC request starts failing again.

Very good job ! You are a detective !!

Actions #6

Updated by Renato Botelho about 2 months ago

  • Status changed from Confirmed to Feedback

pear-HTTP_Request2 downgraded to 2.3.0,1

Actions #7

Updated by Jim Pingle about 2 months ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to New
  • Priority changed from Urgent to High
  • Target version changed from 2.5.2 to 2.6.0

Latest 2.5.2 build looks good with pear-HTTP_Request2 2.3.0,1.

Moving this ahead to 2.6.0 for (hopefully) a long term fix.

Actions #8

Updated by Renato Botelho about 2 months ago

I've created an upstream issue at https://github.com/pear/HTTP_Request2/issues/23

Actions #9

Updated by Renato Botelho about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from New to Feedback

I've added a patch from upstream [1] to devel/pear-HTTP_Request2, version 2.4.2_1,1

[1] https://github.com/pear/HTTP_Request2/commit/63e6f932ab4004f0c09a080d370861d0323b6d33

Actions #10

Updated by Jim Pingle about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Closed
  • Plus Target Version set to 21.09

Looks good with that version.

On snapshot 2.6.0.a.20210701.0100 with php74-pear-HTTP_Request2-2.4.2_1,1 and it's working every time. Zero failures when testing.

I think we can call this one closed.

Thanks!

Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF