Need a simple way to enable/disable package-installed services
The current practice where people write the same code over and over again pretty much in every package that unlinks the rc script on disabling the package and recreates it on enabling is completely braindead and sucks big time. Some basic outline:
- use /etc/rc.conf.d/ with per-package files? (rc.conf.local is definitely a bad idea).
- a simple tag in the packages service definition pointing to the package configuration variable used to enable/disable it.
- extend the write_rcfile() accordingly to put the required variable to the generated rc script automagically.
- make /etc/rc.start_packages check for disabled packages and skip those.
- fix up the dashboard and Status - Services to show disabled state properly.
Or, if you have some better idea, just share it...