GUI is sluggish without working DNS
If you don't have functional DNS, the GUI can be extremely sluggish.Common scenario to reproduce:
- Multi-WAN setup where for whatever reason all DNS servers are going over the WAN that is down (in my case is was my cable provider handing out 188.8.131.52 as a DHCP DNS server when I had it set for a static route over DSL...)
- If the WAN with DNS is down, navigating the GUI is quite slow.
- Fix DNS and it's back to being speedy
Tell the local system to use the locally running dns forwarder as a primary source. This should help ticket #1407
#8 Updated by Peter Baumann almost 8 years ago
I just tested successfull with the following snapshot:
built on Mon Aug 15 22:32:41 EDT 2011
What I did:
- removed every dns server entry
> webgui response is normal. disabled internet link so no dns server reachable -> webgui response is normal.
So, I think this is working now.
#9 Updated by Ermal Luçi almost 8 years ago
- Status changed from Feedback to Resolved
When having localhost as a first server in resolv.conf, as is done on latest snapshots, this bug does not manifest.
So basically this is related to the resolver library timeouts.
The workaround works for now and there are very rare occasions when a forwarder is not running on pfSense itself.