Changing a WAN's type from PPPoE to other breaks it
When a WAN interface set for PPPoE is switched to any other type, it breaks it, as it leaves that interface assigned as pppoeX. It has to switch it back to the physical interface when the type is changed.
Updated by Peter Baumann over 12 years ago
I did some tests on my 2.0-RC1 (i386) built on Thu May 5 00:36:37 EDT 2011 NanoBSD config.
1. Setup PPPoE Interface on WAN.
2. Change the type to static.
3. Check the Interface Assignments and Interface Settings.
4. Check the config file in /conf/config.xml for PPPoE entry, none found.
-> Everything seems to be ok in my installation here.
Updated by Rob Turner over 8 years ago
I ran into this bug on a pfSense 2.2 box. Procedure to recreate was to do the following:
1. Setup PPPoE Interface on WAN
2. PPPoE connection works
Reconfigure from PPPoE to DHCP
1. Interface Assignments - WAN -> em0
2. PPPs -> Delete pppoe0
3. Interfaces -> WAN, change PPPoE to DHCP gets error, change PPPoE to static, Applied settings and no error
4. Rebooted and had to console into box and observed system asking to setup interfaces starting with VLANs