Cannot disable Router Advertisements when the interface IPv6 configuration is set to ``None``
Background: This is a Netgate XG-7100-1U box ordered in June 2019. It is setup as a pretty standard 1 WAN, 1 LAN firewall, and originally was done through the default setup at the time. The software has been updated pretty religiously and currently is on the most stable version of PFSense+, 23.09. I have never used / configured IPv6 on this box to my knowledge.
Issue/Bug: I was trying to make a change to our LAN interface. Specifically I was trying to change the Switch Port which wasn't set. When I made the change and hit "Save", I get the following error _ "The Router Advertisements Server is active on this interface and it can be used only with a static IPv6 configuration. Please disable the Router Advertisements Server service on this interface first, then change the interface configuration."_
Our LAN is configured with IPv4 Configuration Type set to "Static IPv4" & IPv6 Configuration Type set to "None".
When I went to Services -> Router Advertisement, to try to turn off Router Advertisement, I get the following error: "Router Advertisements can only be enabled on interfaces configured with a static IPv6 address. This system has none."
The only way I was able to fix this was to temporarily change IPv6 Configuration Type to "Static IPv6", set a valid IPv6 address for the LAN, then goto Services -> Router Advertisement and set the Router Advertisement Mode to "Disabled". Then disable IPv6 on the WAN.
Unfortunately, I can not post any screen captures as I didn't think to take any at the time I was experiencing this issue, and now that I was able to work around it, I can't go back & recreate it.
Updated by Kris Phillips 4 months ago
I can confirm this bug. You can also work around it by setting the LAN interface to "Track Interface" and setting it to track the upstream WAN interface. This will restore the Router Advertisement menu to allow you to disable it. This issue was also present on 23.05.1 and possibly earlier, so it's not new in 23.09.
Updated by Jim Pingle 4 months ago
- Project changed from pfSense Plus to pfSense
- Category changed from IPv6 Router Advertisements (RADVD) to IPv6 Router Advertisements (radvd/rtsold)
- Target version set to 2.8.0
- Affected Plus Version deleted (
- Plus Target Version set to 24.03
- Subject changed from Can't change any settings in LAN Interface due to IPv6 & Router Advertisements Server service which also can't be changed to Cannot disable Router Advertisements when the interface IPv6 config is set to ``None``
- Status changed from New to Pull Request Review
- Assignee set to Marcos M
- Affected Version set to 2.5.0
- Affected Architecture All added
Apply the following fix with the System Patches package: Show