IPv6 - WAN does not renew address when upstream fails
If the upstream ISP on the WAN link has an IPv6 failure / outage, PFSense does not release and renew the IPv6 lease.
This results in an outage to all IPv6 traffic being routed by PFSense.
The "fix" each time the problem occurs is to manually release the leases on the WAN interface and renew them.
- This been a problem for at least the past year of stable PFSense releases, currently running 2.4.5-RELEASE-p1 (amd64).
- I have confirmed this is an issue for other users of PFSense with IPv6.
- This bug exists after a fresh install of PFsense with minimal configuration.
- This bug exists across completely different hardware.
- The upstream ISP tested with is AussieBroadband (A popular Australia ISP) which use Cisco Nexus gear that's IPoE, the DHCP request starts the accounting so it is required for connectivity to work, there is no option to statically assign an address as a workaround.
This could perhaps related to close bug: https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/2919
See attached screenshots of the interface in a broken IPv6 state and then after a manual release and renew
#2 Updated by Sam McLeod about 2 months ago
If i release/renew it never gets a v6 address again, but if I release, wait 20 seconds, renew it works immediately.